Panthers win it all in three-set shut out

ZACH HUNTLEY, Sports Writer

Coming off of a weekend of two consecutive wins at home, the Panther volleyball team took another victory this week in Peoria, IL. Competing Tuesday, Sept. 29 against Bradley, UNI defeated the Braves in a three-match shutout with set scores 25-20, 25-18 and 25-19.

Tied up in the first set at scores 5, 8 and 9, UNI began to break away from the Braves with multiple kills from junior Lindsey Schulz and freshman Bri Weber. Finishing out the set was a kill from junior Jaidyn Blanchfield for a 25-20 victory.

Starting back in the second set, the Panthers turned the tides early on with back-to-back kills from Schulz, tying up the set, 9-9. From there, the teams battled neck-and-neck until UNI broke away. A service ace by junior Kayla Haneline and multiple errors by Bradley ended the second set, 25-18.

Following the progression of the second set, UNI trailed Bradley until the middle of the third set. After breaking even with the Braves at set score, 16-16, the Panthers only granted Bradley 3 points the rest of the set, finishing 25-19 by a kill from freshman Piper Thomas.

On top of their shutout, Panther head coach Bobbie Petersen claimed her 400th career victory, placing her in an elite group of coaches in the MVC.

As a result of their win over Bradley, UNI advanced 9-7 overall and 3-0 in the MVC.

The Panthers will head to Terre Haute, IN on Friday to compete against Indiana State and will take on Illinois State Saturday, Oct. 3.