Panthers fall to Redbirds

ALFRED O'BRIEN, Sports Editor

Yesterday, the Panther football team traveled to Normal, Illinois IL to take on the Illinois State in their MVFC opener.

The Redbirds proved too much for the Panthers as they fell, 21-13. Scoring early and often in the first half, ISU running back Marshaun Coprich rushed in the first two scores, a one-yard carry in the first quarter and a two-yard carry in the second. Veteran defensive back Tim Kilfoy gave the Panthers some life with an interception, making five for his career. With seven minutes left in the half, the Panthers answered back with a 45- yard catch and run by Michael Malloy for a touchdown, his second one the season.

The Redbirds were not done as they responded on the next possession with a three-play 75-yard touchdown drive with two minutes before halftime. As the next half started the Illinois State game plan shifted from offense to defense. UNI was held in check the next two quarters, kicking two field goals by Michael Schmadeke to bring the score within a one-possession difference. Quarterback Aaron Bailey went 7-17 for 108 yards, a score, and two interceptions. Running back Tyvis Smith rushed for 54 yards on 14 carries.

The Panther defense stepped up in the second half, disrupting a number of Redbird drives. Sophomore Rashadeem Gray blocked a punt in the third quarter to set up the first UNI field goal. Then, defensive lineman Karter Schult forced an ISU fumble with a recovery by D’Shawn Dexter, which set the Panthers up for their second field goal. 

UNI, 2-2, will prepare this week for conference rival North Dakota State. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 10 in Fargo. UNI will be holding a watch party for the game in the UNI-Dome with free food, drinks, prizes, and games.