May the best mustache win: No Shave pledge

KATHERIN JAMTGAARD, Staff Writer

Imagine winning the title of “Best Mustache,” “Longest Leg Hair” or “Longest Beard.” Imagine the prestige.

Colleges Against Cancer, a student organization affiliated with the American Cancer Society, held a “hairy” celebration on Sunday: a No Shave Party to kick off the month of November, with final trophies being offered at the end of the month.

“We are throwing this kick off party to start off our entire month long fundraising efforts for UNI No Shave,” said Jordan Arp, sernior leisure youth and human serives major, prior to the event. “We’re asking people to put down the razors for the month of November to help spread awareness for men’s cancer and raise money for the American Cancer Society at the same time.”

Hailey Manternach, senior mathematics teaching and middle level education double major said money was donated towards cancer research at the event. The amount of money donated equaled the costs on shaving supplies for a month.

“We have a small planning committee for this, and it is a big event of our year,” said Manternach. “It is also a first-year event so we don’t really know what to expect.”

At the party, there were games such as four square and giant Jenga, as well as free food to draw students in. Students could also sign up for No Shave.

Makayla Andrews, sophomore elementary education and early childhood double major, discussed why she attended the event.

“There’s still a fight to end cancer, and this is just another way to push [the] cancer [fight] at UNI,” Andrews said. “We also thought of this because, in October, you see a lot of breast cancer awareness, but you never really see any men’s [health] awareness. So this is supposed to support the men’s [health] awareness. So we’re kind of sharing the love on both sides.”

Arp also noted that many people are aware that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. However, what is not as well known is that November is Prostate Cancer month.

Arp made note, however, that the No Shave event is not exclusively for men.

“This is for women as well,” Arp said. “We don’t want to exclude women at all. I’m myself participating. So ladies, if you wanted to put a picture of you putting down a razor or wanted to show off the leg hair, feel free to do it.”

There are trophies up for grabs for “Longest Beard,” “Best Mustache,” “Most Fundraising Done by an Individual or Team,” “Longest Leg Hair” and “Longest Underarm Hair.”

There will be a halfway party on Nov. 18, where participants can check their  progress by taking pictures. On Dec. 1, a No Shave, SHAVE event will take place as well.

If you’d like to participate in UNI No Shave, you can sign up at www.relayforlife.org/UNI with the promo code: UNInoshave. If you’d like to participate in Relay for Life, you can register as a team or an individual at www.relayforlife.org/uni. If you’d like to get involved with Colleges Against Cancer, [email protected].