Get your passport ready

JOSIE ROBERTSON, Staff Writer

In celebration of International Education Week, the second annual Around the World in 180 Minutes event will take place in the Rod Library Learning Commons November 18th from 4 to 7 pm.

Leila Rod-Welch, chair of the Around the World in 180 Minutes Event Committee, remembers watching the animated cartoon “Around the World with Willy Fog” as a child.

“I always wanted to be Willy Fog, the Lion who traveled the whole world,” explained Rod-Welch. “This [event] is how I can travel the world.”

According to Rod-Welch, last year’s event, Around the World in 120 Minutes, had approximately 400 attendees.

The university decided to bring back the program due to all the positive feedback they received. However, many students requested to extend the length of the program to provide attendees the opportunity to learn more about other countries.

“Diversity is very important to me. I want to educate people and I want to give people a chance to share their ideas,” Rod-Welch said.

Rod-Welch anticipates the event to be much bigger this year, as it is now open to the public. She also feels that contributions from the event’s 15 sponsors will play a big role in the event this year.

According to Rod-Welch, more representatives of international countries are taking part in the event the second time around.

Students, faculty staff and community members will host a booth to represent their native cultures.

“It’s just a safe environment to share information about diversity,” Rod-Welch said.

Attendees will be given a passport to fill with stamps from each “country” visited. Those who visit the most booths will be entered into many drawings for prizes.

The UNI Middle Eastern Dance Club and International Dance Theater will provide international dance entertainment. Bagpipes and the Chinese Zither will also be played at the event by a UNI staff member and student, respectively.

Other activities will include henna tattoos, origami making and a craft corner for children that attend the event.

International food and drink samples will be provided by UNI Catering.

Rod-Welch hopes that hosting the event at the Rod Library will encourage students to use the many resources there.

“I think this is going to be a really good diversity event because we really help attendees to gain a better understanding of what diversity encompasses in a fun and safe environment,” Rod-Welch said.