A great taste of the 250 clubs on campus

KILEY COPPOCK, Staff Writer

The University of Northern Iowa has over 250 student organizations. These clubs are classified into many different categories including: science, political, business, music, service, religion and more. However, some organizations are more well-known than others. Listed below is only a short compilation of some of the possibly lesser-known clubs UNI has to offer.

Art for El Salvador

Art for El Salvador has been at UNI since 2012. This is a charity organization that creates and sells art to help impoverished communities in El Salvador. Club advisor Denise Tallakson, shared a significant accomplishment this group has already seen.

“Last year we helped a community get a new school and took a delegation to dedicate the school in May,” said Tallakson.

Tallakson also commented on why she thinks students should join Art for El Salvador.

“We are a welcoming group of people who use arts as a means to helping others,” said Tallakson.

Art for El Salvador hosts an annual event called ‘Art from the Heart’ that helps others learn more about this group. It will be held Feb 21 from 2-6p.m. in the Maucker Union this year.

Sparkles

Sparkles is an organization that began at UNI in 2013. UNI students work with children with disabilities by hosting cheerleading practices once a week, as well as performing at UNI football, volleyball and basketball games. Sparkles has also volunteered at other events such as Pride Cry, the homecoming parade and the Special Olympics.

Senior elementary education major and coach of the UNI Sparkles, Ellen Jelinske, explains why students should consider joining as well.

“I love this team so much because when I am having a bad day,” said Jelinske. “I know I can come to practice and get a big hug from many of the kids on the team and I know that will make my day so much better.”

Capoeira Sports Club

According to the club’s page, Capoeira is a form of martial arts created by African slaves in Brazil. Capoeira has been a club on campus since 1999 and meets at UNI WRC Room 176 on Wednesdays from 8:30-10 p.m.

Senior TESOL major and club president, Colin Johnson, explained how this club can benefit both students and faculty at UNI.

“Capoeira is a great way to get in some cardio and strength training at the end of the day,” Johnson said. “If you’re looking for a fun new way to workout, as well as meet new people and learn about Brazilian culture and history, Capoeira is the club for you!”

Students Advocating for Voices and Equality (SAVE)

According to UNI’s student organization directory, SAVE is an organization that works to start the conversation about social justice at UNI. They foster activism and advocacy to create a more inclusive environment for all. They participate in a number of different activities to do so, including story telling, dialoguing and even workshopping. SAVE also aims to develop more community engagement in social work.

Potters and Sculptors

The UNI Potters and Sculptors club is an organization made up of students with interests in the three-dimensional arts, such as ceramics and sculpture. The organization is committed to furthering art education through the attendance of events, use of professional resources, group discussions and bringing in visiting artists.

Hardwoods

This club has been at UNI for the past four years and was started by Thomas Yackle and Josh Koppes. This club networks and participates in volunteer work with many businesses in the Cedar Valley area. Yackle explained the purpose of this organization.

“Our goal each year is to put between 3,000-5,000 trees in the ground each year in a devastated area,” said Yackle. He encourages students to become involved with their club.

“Our organization is wild and fun,” Yackle said. “We bring in brilliant ideas and we expand on them in every array of life.”

Student Interior Designers of Northern Iowa

This organization was established in 1973 to be a home for students to understand the role of interior design in society. According to UNI’s student organization directory, membership to the Student Interior Designers of Northern Iowa is open to majors and prospective majors who are committed to the profession of interior design. Associate professor  of interior design Gowri Betrabet Gulwadi encourages students to join.

“Anyone who loves design and wants to stay connected with both the creativity and the science behind the design will benefit from the activities that this organization engages in,” said Betrabet.

Further, she explained that students will have the opportunities to build their credentials in the field, participate in service projects and experience the professional nature of design.

Panther Palms

“Panther Palms is an American Sign Language choir dedicated to performing songs for entertainment,” said graduate Speech-Language Pathology major and club president, Kaitlyn Friday.

This club has been on campus for three years, with the main goal being, “to spread awareness of American Sign Language, entertain and teach students to interpret and sign music in ASL,” said Friday.

The first meeting of this semester will be on Feb. 2 at 7 p.m. in CBB room 28. Friday encourages students to check out this club.

“Students are able to meet new people and make relationships with people they may not have had the opportunity to meet otherwise,” said Friday. “We are a diverse club and, most importantly, we have a lot of fun.”

Student Leadership Outdoor Education

The Student Leadership Outdoor Education club works on developing leadership through experiences in the outdoors, according to the club’s page. They also focus on the protection, exploration, community service and other aspects of the relationship they develop with the environment. Opportunities for outdoor recreation and meeting new people is also a perk of this club.

If any of these clubs interest you or you want to learn more about the diversity of organizations UNI has to offer, check out the full list at the UNI student organization directory.