Price is right at UNI

One+lucky+contestant+at+the+Price+is+Right+Live+presses+his+luck+in+Plinko%2C+one+of+the+most+iconic+games+from+the+television+game+show.+

COURTESY PHOTO/GBPAC

One lucky contestant at the “Price is Right Live” presses his luck in ‘Plinko,’ one of the most iconic games from the television game show.

KILEY COPPOCK, Staff Writer

On Monday, Feb. 8 at 7:30 p.m., Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center (GBPAC) invites people ages 18 years and older to “come on down” and participate in “The Price is Right Live.”

Those who were lucky enough to get tickets to the sold out event will have the chance to win fabulous prizes and play famous games from the television show of the same name.

The traveling “Price is Right Live” event recreates the beloved game show that made its debut in 1956. During this event, randomly selected contestants have a chance to play the games featured on the “Price is Right” that are well-known by even the occasional viewer.

On the traveling show’s website, some of the highlights include: ‘Come on Down,’ Plinko, the Showcase Showdown and, of course, the Big Wheel.

The host is neither Bob Barker nor Drew Carey, but another game-show host, Todd Newton. Newton hosted “Family Game Night” for four years and has been touring with the “Price is Right Live.”

Associate marketing director of Gallagher Bluedorn, Blake Argotsinger, explained why the staff at Gallagher sought out this show to perform at GBPAC.

“This was a show we selected as a way to broaden the depth of entertainment that we bring to Gallagher Bluedorn, to somewhat break the mold of people thinking Gallagher is only for the fine arts, for classical music and chamber music,” said Argotsinger. “We wanted to bring in some big name shows that have high entertainment value that will reach a larger part of the community.”

This show appears to have done that. The theater has hit capacity ticket sales at just over 1,500 tickets sold to students and other residents around the Cedar Falls area. Those who choose to participate can expect to win prizes just as big as those featured on the actual “Price is Right” television show.

“Contestants could win a trip, a living room set, a stereo system,” said Argotsinger. “So what I’d recommend is that you brush up on your everyday household product prices or even some car prices.”

However, in order to have a chance to win these prizes, participants must register. Buying a ticket does not guarantee that you are a contestant. Argotsinger explained how those attending the show can register.

“We will have a registration table set up three hours before the show starting at 4:30 on Monday,” said Argotsinger. “You can pre-register online, but you will still need to bring a photo ID to show that you are over 18 and are eligible to win.”

The GBPAC will also be providing pre-show entertainment.

“We will have UNI catering selling food and drinks,” said Argotsinger. “We’ll also have the best scenes of the ‘come on downs’ and samples of notable shirts that people have made for the show.”

Since this is the first appearance of the “Price is Right Live” at the GBPAC, Argotsinger gave advice for those lucky enough to experience this live event.

“I would say if you’re going to the show, do it up. Get a group of people to make shirts, research the come on downs, and have fun with it,” Argotsinger said.