Panther Parking Problems

Kaushik Mahida, , , and

While CP permit holders may rejoice in the change in parking policy across campus, C permit holders may still be searching. The UNI Department of Public Safety has constrained the use of CP lots from all other parking permits.
In previous semesters, C permit holders were allowed to park in CP lots during designated hours of the weekend.
Effective this semester, the lots designated for CP parking permits across campus will now be restricted at all times for all permits other than CP, including Friday nights and weekends.
However, according to slips that students received along with parking permits, CP lots will be treated as C lots between semesters, such as during the weeks following spring finals and before the start of fall classes.
David Velasco, Parking Manager with the UNI Department of Public Safety, stressed that students were notified of this semester’s parking changes early on.
“All students were informed about the changes in the handouts given to them with their C or CP parking permits,” said Velasco. “There would be a usual fine for parking violations. We have put up signs and have made our best efforts in bringing awareness to this parking change.”
Velasco went on to say that the decision to change the designation of CP lots was made by the Board of Regents in March, shortly after Velasco joined UNI in February. Because of this, Velasco was not able to specify why this change was made. However, he did state that the construction taking place near Panther Village was not a factor in the decision making process.
The new parking changes have proved divisive among UNI students, with some in support of the CP lot restrictions and others expressing concern about guest parking on the weekends.
Rylee Junk, junior psychology major, was one student who was in favor of the new parking changes due to how they will be prevent non-CP permit drivers to park in CP designated lots.
“Personally, I am a fan of it,” Junk said. “I lived on campus the last two years, and it was ridiculous that on the weekends I had to park so far away from my building when I paid for my parking pass. It is unfortunate that they chose this year – when I do not live on campus – to implement it, but it needed to be done.”
Elizabeth Martin, junior political science and economics double major, was dissatisfied with the parking changes, referring to the difficulty of obtaining a CP permit as a primary reason.
“I’m a junior and cannot get access – still – to a CP pass, and I have been on campus since freshman year,” Martin said. “I’ve contacted the DOR (Department of Residence) about the CP passes, and they could not clarify to me how or why they have picked the students that were on the CP pass list. Online however, they specify that you can obtain a CP pass only if you renew your housing contract, which is something I have done every year.”
The parking changes will be in effect at least until the end of the 2016-2017 academic year, at which point the changes will be re-evaluated, according to Velasco.
“I would have to say that, as of right now, that’s the way it’s going to be,” Velasco said. “Once the regulations are set, you can’t change them until the next year.”