SWS: April is sexual assault awareness month

GRACE MCNAMARA

According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, 1 in 5 women and 1 in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college. In addition, 21 percent of TGQN (transgender, genderqueer, nonconforming) college students have been sexually assaulted (rainn.org).

This is a harsh reality on college campuses. Use the following events to become more educated and do your part to put an end to sexual assault.

Sexual assault is a serious issue on college campuses around the country. It’s a major public health, human rights and social justice issue. It’s time we took a stand!

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). This means raising awareness about sexual violence and educating students and college communities about how to prevent it. It may seem like a heavy task, but there are many ways to get involved in the cause.

As students, faculty and staff at UNI, we can start by taking a pledge to be a part of the solution. Student Wellness Services hosts the “It’s On Us” campaign to stop sexual assault.

On Tuesday, April 4, visit the Hemisphere Lounge in Maucker Union from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. to sign the pledge. Those who sign the pledge will receive a free t-shirt while supplies last. By taking the pledge, we show our support to survivors, use our voices to change the culture and promise to take a stand against sexual assault.

There are many other on-campus opportunities for you to engage in National Sexual Assault Awareness Month activities. Tuesday, April 11 is Teal Tuesday. Wear teal, the official color of SAAM, to show your support and involvement.

Self-Care Day is another great event happening on April 13 in the Maucker Union Ballroom from 11a.m. – 2 p.m. There will be coloring, beads, puppies, Play-Doh, the labyrinth and more! Self-Care day is our way of celebrating the importance of self-care.

It’s on us to be responsible and realize that we have a role to play in stopping sexual assault.

For a full list of events for the month of April, visit our Facebook page: @UNIWellness

For more resources and information on sexual assault, go to: www.violenceservices.uni.edu.

-Grace McNamara

Marketing and Public Relations for Student Wellness Services