Levang and Stites and announce candidacy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jacob Levang (pictured left) and Jacob Stites (right) announced their candidacy for student body president and vice president on Monday, Feb. 11, 2019. Elections will take place on Feb. 26 and Feb. 27.

LEVANG & STITES/Courtesy Photo

LEVANG & STITES/Courtesy Photo

LEVANG & STITES/Courtesy Photo

SYDNEY HAUER, Executive Editor

On Monday, Feb. 11, Jacob Levang and Jacob Stites announced their candidacy for student body president and vice president.

Levang is a junior business management major from Des Moines, and Stites, also from Des Moines, is a junior economics major.

“We are excited to start reaching out to people across campus to hear their stories. We want a campaign that is focused on getting everyone a seat at the table. Representation is critical to making progress on the issues that students face every day, that’s why we believe that our fellow students are the key to working towards solutions. Many of these issues are not easy to navigate, but we have a duty to listen to each other and to work together,” they said in a press release.

Their platform includes an off-campus housing initiative, making NISG more transparent to students, campus equity and inclusivity, sexual assault advocacy and prevention and mental health advocacy, among other issues.

Levang and Stites will be holding a Student Success Roundtable at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 14, in the Plaza Conference Room in Maucker Union, according to a press release. They will be discussing various aspects of their platform including the Liberal Arts Core (LAC) curriculum revision and NISG transparency. Mahlia Brown, political director, and Damond Jones, deputy political director will lead the roundtable, and Stites will be present to listen and answer questions.

Levang and Stites will also be tabling in the Union throughout the week and available to talk to students.

Jacob Madden, senior political communication major will serve as the campaign manager.

Other students involved in the campaign include Corey Jones, junior political science major, Chad Schafer, senior social science education major, Dylan Albertson, junior management information systems major, Sara Goodman, junior marketing and sales major and Kaylynne Bratton, senior elementary and middle-level education major.

Candidates will campaign from now until Wednesday, Feb. 27, and the election will take place on Tuesday, Feb. 26, and Wednesday, Feb. 27, according to a press release.

For more information, visit levangandstitesfornisg.com.

1 Comment

One Response to “Levang and Stites and announce candidacy”

1. Lynda S McNulty on February 15th, 2019 1:25 pm

Graandma’s for LeVang and Stites. You got this!!!

• Levang and Stites and announce candidacy

Student to compete on ‘Ninja Warrior’

UNI professor organizes photo display

2019-2020 Student Fee proposal

SFC votes to defund Panther Shuttle

DOR explains 2019-20 dining changes

News editor bids farewell to UNI

ISA presents Spring Diversity Showcase

Scene D presents “The Christians”

Immigrants become citizens in Maucker

Take Back the Night honors victims