Krodingers show off big bats, Panthers go 1-3

JERRIUS CAMPBELL, Sports Writer

The UNI women’s softball team traveled to Kentucky on Sunday, March 10. UNI split their first two games on day one.

The purple and gold got on the board first with a sac fly to left by Brittney Krodinger in their first matchup up with Purdue Fort Wayne. The following inning the Mastodons scored off a double to center field and two runners scored, leaving the Mastodons with a 2-1 lead.

The Panther’s opposition took off in the third inning with five consecutive hits, including a three-run homer to left center, making the score 5-1. Brooke Craig eventually got UNI out of the inning.

In the third, Olivia Brooks flew out to center field, Sammey Bunch tagged up and scored making it a 5-2 game. Purdue Fort Wayne dominated at the end, with a final score of 8-2 after 7 innings. The Mastodons walked away with 10 hits, 8 runs and 7 strikeouts.

The Panthers played the host Murray State in their second game of the day, walking away with a 10-7 win. Shortstop Sammey Bunch led the way for the Panthers with 3 hits and two RBIs. Courtney Krodinger finished the outing with four RBIs for UNI.

Ashley Chesser homered to left center to put up 5-1 after three innings. Hannah Kelley started for the Panthers on the mound, pitching three innings and allowing five hits and two runs. This match-up came down to the final inning.

Courtney Krodinger grounded out to score Bunch to tie the game in the seventh inning, sending the contest into extra innings. Courtney Krodinger put the Panthers up with a three-run home run to put the Panthers up 10-6, which proved to be the finishing blow. The Racers were able to score a run in the bottom of the ninth inning, but it wasn’t enough to beat the Panthers.

On day two, UNI played against Purdue Fort Wayne once again. Perry native Emma Olejniczak had the best game yet for the Panthers on the mound.

Olejniczak allowed five hits all game with five strikeouts. With a stellar performance on the mound, UNI won 6-1.

Bunch also jacked her sixth home run of the year, setting a new career high for home runs.

In their final game, the purple and gold faced off against Samford University, falling to the Bulldogs 6-5 in a nine-inning thriller.

Kelley made her second start of the weekend, allowing four runs on six hits and one walk. Craig relieved her in the seventh inning, followed by freshman Erica Oler coming in to attempt a save for UNI.

The Bulldogs led 4-0 in the end of the second inning. In the third Brittney Krodinger matched her sister’s hitting and homered to score for the Panthers. The women of UNI gained the lead in the fourth inning 5-4. After tying the game, the Bulldogs pushed the game to extra innings. Samford eventually scored one run in the ninth, which gave them just enough to beat the Panthers 6-5.

The Panthers will be playing  Indiana State in Terre Haute, Ind., on Saturday, March 16.