Giddens will fight student voter suppression

This Letter to the Editor was submitted by Eric Giddens, Democratic candidate for Iowa Senate District 30.

Right now in the Republican-controlled Iowa Senate, there is a bill making its way that would outlaw voting on University of Northern Iowa campus, as well as voting on the other state university campuses. This is a slap in the face to everyone in the University of Northern Iowa community and young voters across the state.

With the elections bill passed by a strict party vote and our special election planned during Spring Break, it is clear to me that the current party in power is laser-focused on suppressing student voters at the University of Northern Iowa.

The core of our democracy is to ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Making it easier for people to exercise their right to vote should not be a partisan issue.

This is one of the reasons I am running for the Iowa Senate in District 30.

We need leaders in the Statehouse who will work to increase voter participation by college students and other Iowans, not silence the voices of voters. The core values of our democracy should always come before party politics.

I will work in the Iowa Senate to expand access to the polls, to make early voting easier and to ensure that every eligible voter has the chance to cast a ballot in every election.

I encourage all UNI students to make their voices heard in this special election.