UNI Student Leadership Awards list

UNI released the list of Student Leadership Awards for the 2019 school year. These awards recognize students faculty and campus organizations that have demonstrated outstanding commitment and leadership within their respective areas.

Courtesy

MICHAEL OASHEIM, News Editor

On Tuesday, April 9, the University of Northern Iowa released its list of 2019 Student Leadership Awards.

UNI CARE Award

The CARE (Creating A Responsible Environment) Award is offered to a student, faculty member or organization that has exhibited an outstanding commitment to a sustainable future.

Recipient: Lily Conrad

Dr. Sue Follon Scholarship for Women in Leadership

This scholarship is given to students who display excellent leadership qualities while at UNI and show potential to provide futher leadership for women.

Recipient: Shaylyn Trenkamp

Boots to Books Scholarship Recipient

Boots to Books is a program that was designed to help facilitate the transition of veterans to civilian life and a college environment. Despite many military and veteran students being eligible for G.I. benefits, over half of them still require some type of financial assistance. The Boots to Books scholarship was created to support the future educational endeavors of military and veteran students.

Recipient: Connor Grunwald

Drake Martin Gold Star Awards

This award is offered to student leaders for their contributions to on-campus living at UNI. This award has been presented annually since 1989 and is the highest residential leadership award at UNI.

Recipients: Kate O’Dell, Cameron Amos

Dr. Charlotte West Scholar-Athlete Award

The Dr. Charlotte West Award is presented annually by the Missouri Valley Conference. The award is given to one male and one female student-athlete who have completed intercollegiate eligibility in their primary sport. This award recognizes outstanding performance in athletics, academics, services and leadership.

Recipients: Crystal Florman, Women’s Swimming and Diving; Isaac Holtz, Men’s Track and Field

NISG Above and Beyond Awards

These awards are offered to faculty and staff by students for their commitment to student success. One award is focused on student learning and the other on student success.

Recipients: Student Success Award: Allyson Rafanello, Student Learning Award: Ronnie Chen

Most Promising New Leader in a Student Organization

This award recognizes a member in a student organization that has exhibited emerging leadership within their organization, a commitment to developing that leadership and has surpassed the expectations of the membership of their organization.

Recipient: Joel Gan, International Student Promoters

Student Organization Advisor of the Year

This award recognizes a student organization advisor who has demonstrated outstanding leadership, dedication and service to their organization.

Recipient: Ashley Adams, Campus Activities Board, Service & Leadership Council and Panther Pantry

Student Organization Program of Distinction

This award recognizes significant achievements in the planning and presentation of programs by student organizations.

Recipients: “A Rabbi, A Pastor, and An Imam: Stronger Together” (presented by Muslim Students Association), I Love Female Orgasm (presented by Campus Activities Board), International Student Preview Day (presented by International Student Promoters)

Greek 360 Award

This award recognizes members of the UNI Fraternity & Sorority Life community who, in addition, are outstanding members of student organizations on campus and make contributions to the community.

Recipients: Meghan Joens, Alpha Delta Pi; Caleb Gipple, Sigma Phi Epsilon

Most Promising New Student Organization

This award recognizes a newly emerging student organization that has exhibited motivation, innovation, creativity and perseverance.

Recipient: Readers Today Leaders Tomorrow

Student Organization of the Year

This award recognizes a student organization that has displayed excellence in the dedication and development of its members and contributions to the campus community.

Recipient: Muslim Students Association

Diversity Matters Award

This award recognizes the dedication and service to the University of Northern Iowa in regards to its diversity-related goals.

Recipients: Nadir Khan, Scott Schwartz, Yakira Sanders

Servant Leader Award

This award recognizes individuals who have worked for the common good of the community while simultaneously putting the needs of others before their own.

Recipients: Adalberto Castrejon, Allison Noggle, Anna Patch, Bryce Davis, Caitlyn Walte, Caleb Gipple, Emily Meier, Morgan Brus, Muhammed Butt, Trevor Fletcher

Outstanding Student Leader

This award recognizes students who have displayed leadership and dedication through their involvement in campus activities.

Recipients: Akanksha Sahni, Ben Vaske, Gorpu David, Lydia Richards, Siraj Acharya, Taryn Kroymann, Tristan Bernhard

Lux Service Award

This award recognizes the overall involvement of graduating senior students. It is the most prestigious award given to those who constantly go above and beyond, leaving a lasting impact on the university upon graduation. 

Recipients: Clare Flattery, Dominique Jefferson, Yakira Sanders