Take Back the Night honors victims

TONI FORTMANN

UNI students and community members gathered on the roof of Maucker Union on Thursday, April 19, to participate in the annual Take Back the Night event, hosted by UNI Women’s and Gender Studies Program and Northern Iowa Feminists.

TONI FORTMANN

UNI students and community members alike gathered on the roof of Maucker Union Thursday, April 18, braving the cold weather in order to participate in the annual Take Back the Night event. 

This event is put on by the UNI Women’s and Gender Studies Program and Northern Iowa Feminists.

The rally’s purpose is to honor the experiences of survivors of sexual violence, including sexual assault, childhood sexual violence, domestic violence and state violence such as police brutality, racism, sexist oppression and other forms of institutionalized violence.

Take Back the Night is the first worldwide effort to combat sexual violence and violence against women. Its overall goal is to raise awareness and work toward eliminating sexual violence in all forms.

During this event, supporters listened with open ears to sexual assault survivor stories, and guest speakers, before taking part in a march throughout campus.