Top 5 players to watch this season

JACOB POTTER

QB Will McElvain

McElvain, a redshirt freshman, earned the starting quarterback spot replacing graduate Eli Dunne.  “We felt that Will overall is the best at this time to go into this football game [against Iowa State],” head coach Mark Farley said.

Farley also said that McElvain has a very talented arm.  Senior wide receiver Jaylin James also sees promise in the young quarterback.  “With Will, if he gets out of the pocket the play is never dead,” James said.  “He can scramble really well, but he keeps the ball alive and keeps his eyes downfield.”

McElvain was one of the best high school quarterbacks in Iowa.  Albeit, it is high school, but the Des Moines native led the state in total offense as a senior at Lincoln High School.  McElvain averaged 270 passing yards, 115 rushing yards and 4.5 touchdowns per game during his career at Lincoln.

Time will tell if McElvain can convert his talent into game action.

TE Briley Moore 

One of McElvain’s top targets will be the 6-foot-4, 249-pound tight end Briley Moore, who has garnered the attention of several NFL scouts during fall camp.  Moore led the Panthers in receiving yards last season with 536 yards at a clip of 14 yards per catch along with four touchdowns. 

“Briley Moore is, by all means, one of the better tight ends in the FCS, if not the best one in the FCS,” Farley said.

The senior tight end was elected to the first-team all-MVC team for his performance last season, along with being named a team captain.

Coach Farley envisions Moore continuously improving to get to the next level.  “He has to challenge himself,” Farley said.  “I wish I had a guy here to challenge him for his position.  It’d make him better.  Elias Nissen made him better last year … That’s why I wish I had that one guy to push him day in and day out.

“He still has to do what I call chase the ghost.  He has to chase the guy that’s better than him.  The guy that will be better than him that’s across from him.”

DB Xavior Williams

Junior cornerback Xavior Williams leads the Panther secondary after a strong sophomore season.  The Burlington, Iowa native had four interceptions (one pick-six) along with 42 tackles to earn a spot on the first-team all-MVC team.

“Everyone’s going to talk about Xavior Williams coming back,” Farley said.  “He’s gotta step his game up.  I feel good about him.”

Williams also returned 16 kicks for 400 yards at an average of 25 yards per kick return.

RB Trevor Allen

Behind 1000-yard rusher Marcus Weymiller, Trevor Allen racked up 649 yards and five touchdowns at a clip of 4.6 yards per carry.

Allen will be the feature back now that Weymiller graduated.  Farley also sees the senior back as a leader after learning from his brother A.J., who graduated after playing four years on defense for the Panthers.

“Trevor is like his brother A.J.,” Farley said.  “A.J. really stepped forward in the last couple years,   but now that A.J. is gone Trevor has really taken more of a role for whatever reason.  Now that his brother is gone he can be more of a voice than before.  I’m excited for Trevor.  I think Trevor is a great tailback.”

DE Elerson Smith

On the defensive line, 6-foot-7, 245-pound defensive end Elerson Smith is a pass rusher to look out for. 

The Minneapolis native was second on the team in sacks with 7.5 behind graduate Rickey Neal Jr., who had 8.5 sacks.  Smith also had 10.5 tackles for loss and one forced fumble.

The junior defensive end adds to a strong defensive line.  “Our defensive line is the strength of our defense,” Farley said.  “We’re strong inside … and our perimeter is good with enough depth as well.  We have Elerson Smith, Seth Thomas and Brawantae Wells.”