Making connections at the Volunteer Fair

SOFIA LEGASPI, Campus Life Editor | [email protected]

Over 40 nonprofit organizations hosted information tables in the Maucker Union ballroom on Wednesday, Sept. 4 during the Volunteer Fair.

The fair was a collaborative effort between the Volunteer Center of the Cedar Valley (VCCV), the Nonprofit Leadership Alliance and the UNI Office of Community Engagement. Students were able to learn about volunteer and internship opportunities with organizations ranging from the Cedar Falls Historical Society and Habitat for Humanity to MercyOne and the Northeast Iowa Food Bank.

“Volunteering in the local community is really great way for students to make an impact in their community,” said Hillary Davis, the VCCV’s AmeriCorps communications coordinator and the event’s main organizer. “If Iowans volunteered up to 50 hours just annually, the service that they provide can total up to a billion dollars of worth of services.”

Davis also emphasized the value of making connections through volunteering. Through her internship with Friends of the Family, for example, Davis  said she was able to meet people both within her organization and from other organizations with which they partnered.

The VCCV connects students and community members with over 150 nonprofit organizations offering hundreds of volunteer opportunities.

Davis noted that students who were unable to attend the fair but want more information can visit their website at vccv.org, go to the “Volunteer” tab and view their “Get Connected” database that lists local volunteer opportunities. Additionally, Davis works on Mondays and Thursdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the VCCV office, located in Maucker Union next to Guest Services.

“So if [students] want to stop by and we can chat about connecting with organizations,” she said, “that’s what I’m here for.”