Kamala Harris to return to UNI

NI ARCHIVES

Kamala Harris addresses students during a campus visit in October of 2018. The California senator and 2020 presidential candidate will return to UNI on Friday, Sept. 20.

ELIZABETH KELSEY, News Editor

Presidential candidate and California senator Kamala Harris will visit UNI on Friday, Sept. 20. She last visited campus in October 2018, when she campaigned for Iowa Democrats who sought election to state offices in last year’s mid-term elections.

Since last year’s visit, Harris has announced her candidacy for the 2020 presidential election. Her Sept. 20 visit is part of a series of campaign events in central and eastern Iowa, including the LGBTQ Presidential Candidate Forum at Coe College at 7 p.m. on Sept. 20.

The UNI visit will be held in  the Old Central Ballroom in Maucker Union. Doors will open at 4 p.m. and the program will begin at 4:45 p.m. Harris will discuss her “3 a.m. agenda,” defined by the Des Moines Register as “the problems that keep Americans up at night.” 

The event is free, but the public is encouraged to RSVP for the event by visiting https://www.mobilize.us/kamalaforia/event/122102/.