IJM hosts ‘Threads’ thrift store

LAUREN MCGUILL, Staff Writer

UNI’s International Justice Mission (IJM) hosted “Threads,” a pop-up thrift store to raise funds and awareness to end human trafficking on Monday, Oct. 21 in the Maucker Union Ballroom.

The group had collected clothing donations for over two weeks via boxes placed around campus. Proceeds from “Threads” will help finance human trafficking rescue missions.

Monday’s thrift store is one of IJM’s major events, another being an advocacy event planned for next spring.

“The group’s goal is to raise money and awareness about human trafficking and how to put a stop to it,” said Raelynn Meade, a senior communications disorders and psychology major who serves as IJM’s president.

Freshman public relations major Onastacia Roe said she loved the event.

“It makes me so excited to learn that UNI has a club devoted to help end human trafficking,” she said. “I was a part of a similar club at my high school, and I’m so happy I can continue to take part in something I’m so passionate about. I can’t wait to see what other fun events IJM has planned.”

Natalie Lawrence, freshman Spanish education major, said she enjoyed “Threads” as well.

“I’m so happy I heard about this event,” she said. “I recently learned about sustainable fashion and how buying used clothes can help the environment and isn’t supporting companies that promote child labor. I’m glad I was able to support such a great cause.”

Visitors of “Threads” also learned statistics about human trafficking, both worldwide and locally. The International Labor Organization estimates that there are 40.3 million victims of human trafficking globally. The average age of those targeted ranges from 12 to 14. Iowa is a prime spot for human trafficking because of the two major interstates that run through the state. There were 38 reported cases of human trafficking in Iowa this year alone.

IJM meets biweekly on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. in the State College Room in Maucker Union. All are welcome to attend. Those interested can contact [email protected].