UNI students, faculty enjoy the tunes of professional carillonneur

University of Northern Iowa students enjoyed the musical stylings of Karel Keldermans, a professional carillonneur, as he played the carillon atop the Campanile at noon Thursday and Friday. Students and faculty got the opportunity to explore the inside of the Campanile and watch Keldermans play.

“I heard about it on Facebook and I had to check it out,” said Molly Baumgard, a senior communications major. “I always wanted to do this before I graduated.”

Baumgard was one of many UNI students who took the journey up the Campanile. For most, this was a first.

“I’ve never done this before. It’s awesome! It’s an experience you need to do before you graduate,” said Brett Caviness, a senior communications major.

Keldermans, who has a master’s degree in carillon performance and campanology from the University of Illinois, has been a full-time carillonneur for more than 35 years. He has given carillon concerts all over the world, was President of the Guild of Carillonneurs in North America for five years and served on its Board of Directors for nine years.

Keldermans and his wife, Linda, wrote the book “Carillon: The Evolution of a Concert Instrument” and were the owners and publishers of the largest carillon publishing house in the world, American Carillon Music Editions. Kelderman is considered one of the most successful carillonneurs in North America.

“It’s my job, but it doesn’t feel like a job. I like (playing the carillon) so it doesn’t feel like work,” Keldermans said.

The Campanile was built in 1926 as a memorial for students and faculty who served in World War I. At first, it had a set of chimes consisting of 15 bells. It wasn’t until 1968 that UNI received the carillon. A carillon has about 23 bells, which are played by striking a keyboard (like a piano) with your fists. For the larger bells, the carillonneur uses his or her feet.

The best part about playing the carillon, as Kelderman would say, is getting the opportunity to play for people.

“The reaction I get at UNI is wonderful,” he said. “People at UNI don’t hear the carillon very often, so they think it’s pretty cool.”

Many UNI students said they enjoyed listening to Keldermans play as they walked to class.

“It gives me a feeling of being on a unique college campus,” said Laura Tucker, a middle level science teaching major.