Ninja U to host “Ninja Warrior” competition

NI ARCHIVES

On Sunday, Feb. 16, UNI students are invited to participate in a Ninja Warrior competition at Ninja U. Contact Cindy Klatt at [email protected] to sign up.

COLBY WEBER

In a similar fashion to the television show “American Ninja Warrior,” UNI students will be competing with one another in an obstacle course on Sunday, Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. The course is available to all genders and skill levels and those who participate will get a special t-shirt. The event is being hosted by Ninja U, located at 5911 University Ave. #350 in Cedar Falls.

According to Intramural Sports Coordinator Cindy Klatt, this is the first time that the event has been held. She was approached by American Ninja Warrior Contestant and UNI student Jackson Twait to see if they could do an intramural event with Ninja U. Although a $20 UNI Intramural Play Pass is required to participate, competing in the event is free. If students would like to practice beforehand, the course is open from Monday through Thursday 8 p.m. until 10 p.m. for a discounted student rate. Although registration is supposed to close after February 12th, Klatt said that those who are interested can still contact her at [email protected] if spots are available.

During the competition, one to two points will be offered for clearing each obstacle. The two-point obstacles are more challenging and because of this they have half-way points where one point can be scored. The exact course will not be known to any of the participants and it will involve a full-body workout.

“It’s set up so there’s a different set-up each time,” said Klatt. “There’s a lot of climbing and jumping. Whether or not they fall into a pool, I don’t know. If the contestants have a strong upper body and athletic ability, they’re one step ahead.”

Klatt is hoping that the event is something that UNI’s campus can do for years to come. As time goes by, she hopes that the event grows. Currently, they have two women and one man registered for the event and she would like to see three to four of each. She mentioned that with their program of Canoe Battleship, it took a few years to take off.

Coordinating with Ninja U for the event was a tricky part of the planning process for Klatt.

“It was a challenge to come up with the time and day,” said Klatt. “We had to stay off of Saturdays and weekdays. During the week, students have classes. Sunday during the evening is what we ended up going with. We also needed to know that it would be cheaper for students to practice with their college student discount.”

When UNI students attend the event, Klatt hopes that they’ll consider giving it a try in the long run. She thinks that the event is an interesting and fun way for athletes to compete.

“It’s a different way of showing off your skills,” said Klatt. “You may not be the best basketball player or the best volleyball player, but you’ve got some talent. It takes some talent and some concentration. Even Jackson, when he was on TV and he blew it right there at the beginning, if he could redo that he would. Sometimes you lose concentration. It’s one of those things where there’s no guarantee. You could be the best of the best and then with one little slip you’re in the water.”