UNI releases new update following Gov. Reynolds’ new guidelines

ELIZABETH KELSEY, News Editor

Following updated direction from Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds calling for the closures of additional public facilities due to COVID-19, UNI administration announced further closures and restrictions of access to campus buildings on Wednesday, April 8.

“In order to continue to emphasize the health and safety of our campus community, most campus buildings will be locked until further notice beginning at the end of the day Friday, April 10,” the administration stated in an email to the campus community. “During this time period, custodial staff will begin deep cleaning all UNI facilities. The limited access to buildings will allow custodial staff to thoroughly clean areas with decreased risk of being infected.”

All employees have already been asked to work remotely, but those whose positions prevent this will now be asked to use specific doors to enter and exit campus buildings. Custodial staff will more frequently clean these doors, according to the email. Employees who must work on-campus are also asked not to prop open doors and to bring their keys to campus, since UNI Police and facilities staff will not unlock buildings or offices for employees. 

Several buildings will remain open on a limited basis, including Gilchrist, to accommodate student printing and business office needs, and Redecker Center, to provide limited dining services. For the schedule of dining hours, see https://dor.uni.edu/dining/dining-operations. 

“Health experts are estimating that the next two to four weeks will be critical to the health of all Iowans,” UNI administration wrote in the campus email. “Your willingness to work remotely will benefit the entire UNI community and especially support the custodial and facilities staff who must work on campus. Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of others. Please continue to take care of yourselves and your loved ones as we work through this situation together.”