Executive Editor welcomes students

EMMA'LE MAAS, Executive Editor

Hi, Panthers! Welcome back, or welcome to, the University of Northern Iowa. Most of all, welcome to our new normal, whatever that looks like for you.

I am so grateful for the opportunity at the paper and at our school to continue my work and education, as I’m sure you all are too. I am so excited for all this year has in store for all of us.

Recently, I interned at KWWL, the news broadcasting station in Waterloo. While I was there I had first-hand experience of how to report news that is both fair and unbiased, as well as fast and effective for audiences.

Prior to the Executive Editor position, I have worked with the Northern Iowan during my last two years at UNI and have been an active member of the UNI community as a whole,by participating in several different student organizations such as KULT Radio and Make the Change.

The Northern Iowan team has been working hard all summer to make sure you are receiving the highest quality news possible. We want to make sure that every voice and story is covered this year as we launch into the unknown territory that is 2020. 

If you have something to say or a voice to be heard, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always looking for critique, and, above all, making sure we are covering all we can on our campus.

Letters to the editor are encouraged. Please email them to me at [email protected].

If you are interested in joining a writing or photography position, also do not hesitate to contact me or apply on our website. 

This year will be different than other years, and at this point, I consider that an understatement.

However, the Northern Iowan is ready and prepared to adapt to any environment we are thrown into, and we are excited to continue bringing the best news to the UNI campus.

As executive editor, I promise to do all I can to lift this paper up as high as it can go, with the help of my team as well as you, the reader. These are your stories being told, so I encourage you to speak up, speak out and grab a paper every Monday and Thursday.

I look forward to this year, and I look forward to helping all of you tell your stories.