Time to get foamy

A small sea of orange-clad students gathered Thursday for the annual UNI Dance Marathon 5K outside of the Industrial Technology Center. This year’s 5K was a foam run full of suds, water balloons and slip ‘n slides.  

“We have a 5K every year which has proven to be a huge fundraiser for us. All of the money raised through the 5K goes to our total which is announced at the big event in March,” said Katie Baum, junior leisure, youth and human services and public relations double major and organizer of the Foam 5K.

Hearing about the event through mail, Facebook and chalk announcements, 118 runners participated in the Foam 5K.

“It’s for a good cause and everyone’s coming together and it’s a good time,” said Avery Johnson, freshman English major.

Pierce Ames, senior psychology major, thought the event was a good way to raise awareness and money. 

“You see all the people here dressed in orange and orange is an attractive color to people. And they see Dance Marathon and want to learn more about it,” he said. 

Ames was the first runner back with a time of 21 minutes. 

Dance Marathon isn’t the only organization that reaps the benefits of the event. In Baum’s eyes, students also benefit from the event. 

“This is an easy way for new students at UNI to get involved with the largest student organization on campus,” Baum said. “I also think this event is a quick way for students to see what our organization is all about and why it is such a worthy cause.” 

Without the pressure most 5Ks exude, Johnson, a former cross country runner, aimed to enjoy himself on this run.

“Usually I try to run and just do my best for the time, but I think this one I’ll just sit back and have a good time,” Johnson said.

Aside from the Foam 5K, Baum alludes to more events Dance Marathon has in the works, including: Trick Or Treat For Kids Who Can’t, a grilled cheese night on the hill and a volleyball tournament. 

Dance Marathon will be announcing their fundraising goal for this year on Oct. 9th at their Orange Party on the roof of Maucker Union.