Counseling Center holds “In My Shoes” exhibit

Courtesy Photo

The UNI Counseling Center is putting together an exhibit that focuses on how being different affects life as a college student and emotional wellbeing. Both UNI and Hawkeye students are allowed to submit pieces of creative writing and/or other works of art.

AASHITA VADHERA

For the first time ever, the UNI Counselling Center is hosting an exhibit to promote mental health on campus called, “In My Shoes Exhibit” created by Riley Rodemaker, a graduate and program assistant at the UNI counselling center.

Since last spring, Rodemaker had been thinking of ideas for this exhibit, stating, “I am always trying to come up with creative and inclusive ways to increase people’s awareness with mental health.”

Rodemaker felt that, given the world’s current state, it is an especially important time for this as people are coping with isolation and loneliness related to COVID-19.

This project, set to be displayed in the glass display case near the mental health wall in the Maucker Union, will showcase different creative writing pieces as well as physical art works. Everyone is free to walk by and observe these works making it possible for people to participate regardless of Covid-19.

Rodemaker hopes that this exhibit will serve as a piece of education for not only himself but many other students in regards to the intersectionality of diversity and mental health.

“I hope that this exhibit will give interested students a platform to share their unique experiences with being ‘different’ and how that influences their mental and emotional wellness,” said Rodemaker.

The deadline to submit an entry to this exhibit is 20th November and Rodemaker is extremely hopeful that they will receive many great submissions. He hopes this exhibit will get people to start talking about mental health.

“Even if you don’t personally struggle with mental illness, your openness and acceptance in regards to mental health can mean the difference between a person seeking or not seeking help when they need it,” said Rodemaker.

If anyone has any questions or concerns in regards to the exhibit, please email Riley Rodemaker at [email protected].