Romeo & Juliet

Ballet’s articulation comes from movement and expression, since there is no speaking. Audiences got to see this firsthand on Sunday. The Russian National Ballet Theatre performed William Shakespeare’s classic “Romeo and Juliet” through Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Art’s Center’s 2014-15 Artist Series “Spark, Ignite, Inspire.” 

“The expressive, articulate movements of the ballet is what makes it so captivating,” said Blake Argotsinger, the associate marketing manager of GBPAC.

Jordan Edberg, a prospective UNI student, was excited for the performance. Edberg was prepared to view the ballet in an artistic light, especially in an interpretive way. 

“I’m a really big fan of classical literature and also dance so it’s a really good combination,” Edberg said. 

Argotsinger said that the ballet has many aspects to it. 

“For one, the athleticism it takes to manipulate the body is incredible. The story-telling in this particular ballet is uniquely captivating,” Argotsinger said. “You have a story like Romeo and Juliet, written by Shakespeare who uses different poetic forms for each of his characters, characters who become more complex as the story goes on.” 

Aside from characters there is the addition of music. 

“Tchaikovsky…first had to interpret this story and those poetic forms into a musical score that captures the pure passion and emotion,” Argotsinger said.

Another factor added is the creative energy that goes into reproducing the powerful love story. 

“These type of performances create an energy that’s not readily felt anywhere else,” Argotsinger said.

Prior to the performance there was Curtain Talk, which went more in-depth with the fundamentals of ballet as well as a performance of the memorable balcony scene by two UNI students.

This isn’t the first time that the Russian National Ballet has come to the GBPAC. Argotsinger said the company performed Cinderella for the 2012-2013 season and Sleeping Beauty for the 2010-2011 season and the 2005-2006 season. 

“We’ve had several different ballet companies here over the last 15 years. The Russian National Ballet has been here several times and continue to inspire us with their movements,” Argotsinger said.

Encouraged to go by her Russian advisor, Emily Francis, geography graduate student, hoped to “enjoy the cultural differences.” 

With this experience, Edberg hoped to take home “more appreciation for dance as an art form. I’ve danced as a kid, like tap dancing, but I’ve never really been able to see professional dancers do a huge show.”