Maddie Poppe to perform drive-in concert

Maddie Poppe, accompanied by Brad & Kate, will perform a drive-in concert on April 30.

SARA QUALLEY

American Idol winner and Clarksville, Iowa native Maddie Poppe is coming to campus April 30, accompanied by opening act Brad & Kate. The concert is taking on a non-traditional approach in the form of a drive-in concert in the ITC South parking lot.

Connie Hansen, advisor for UNI’s Campus Activities Board (CAB), proposed the idea after seeing the success of CAB’s drive-in movie event for “Baby Driver” in October 2020. The drive-in formatting will help ensure social distancing procedures are followed. CAB is partnering with the Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center to bring the concert to campus.

CAB tries to bring a concert to campus every year. These concerts are personal favorites for Isaiah Finan, CAB’s director of operations and a senior public relations major, and Helen Beyer, CAB’s event management director and a junior sociology major. They think this concert could be particularly memorable for attendees.

“How often can you say, ‘Oh, I went to a drive-in concert’?” Beyer said.

Finan shared that CAB is excited to provide a safe venue for students to enjoy live music and have a taste of normal campus life.

“I think the thing that’s really going to be memorable for a lot of people is that this is really the first live music experience that a bunch of people are going to be getting in over a year, really,” he said.

Past reception to campus performances by Poppe and Brad & Kate have been positive, leading CAB to invite both acts to perform. Finan shared that both acts typically perform folksy songs, leading him to believe they’ll complement each other well. The concert begins at 7 p.m. and attendees can start parking at 6 p.m. Attendees will receive a free snack pack.

As of Monday, April 12, roughly half of the 164 tickets have been claimed. Ticket reservations are free and exclusive to UNI students. Reservations can be made at CAB’s webpage or by calling UNItix at 319-273-4849 Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Students will be prompted to enter their UNI email address and ID number when registering online and are asked to give their ID number when calling. Only one ticket is needed per car. Each passenger does not need a ticket, and guests who don’t attend UNI are welcome as long as a UNI student makes the reservation.