Quesadilla Fridays make a comeback for seniors

• Maucker Union will bring back Quesadilla Fridays this Friday.

Housing & Dining, Guest Columnist

A simple tweet from a UNI student got the wheels rolling on opening Maucker Union Food Court for a special one-time lunch event this spring before the 20-21 academic year comes to an end.

The idea was brought forth after campus learned that Maucker Union Food Court would not be reopening for the spring semester due to the impact COVID-19 had on low guest counts in the fall. In response, a student tweeted their sorrow of not being able to get one last quesadilla before graduating.

The quesadilla bar concept on the large grill at Wasabi in the food court started back in 2016 when the current graduating seniors were freshmen. Dining staff felt it only fitting to send this group of students off with one last opportunity to enjoy this fan-favorite lunch, while also providing them a final time to grace the floors of the food court.

“I’m so excited to be able to provide one last quesadilla bar opportunity for students, especially the seniors. I’ve worked at Maucker Union the last 3 and a half years, and I’m hoping we will be able to draw in as many customers as we used to pre-COVID.”

Miranda, a senior and student staff member, is one of many dining employees pitching in from different locations across campus to open the food court for this special event Friday.

The quesadilla bar will be open for lunch on Friday, April 23, 11:00am to 1:30pm at Wasabi in the food court in Maucker Union. Quesadillas are made-to-order and 20oz. Coke products will also be available for purchase. Customers can pre-order using the GET app, as long lines are expected.

Maucker Union Food Court will reopen in the fall. Look for new venue concepts and menu offerings.