Pride Cry keeps homecoming tradition alive on Monday night

• Members of Greek life competed in Pride Cry. The participants included Sigma Alpha Epilson, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Sigma Tau and Pi Kappa Alpha. The winner will perform at the pep rally Friday, Oct. 1 at 7 p.m.

GRACE TOUNEY, Staff Writer

This year’s homecoming activities started Sept. 27, and for some students this will be their first Northern Iowa Homecoming. UNI’s Panther Pride Cry allows students to get creative with their school spirit for a chance to perform at the Pep Assembly. This year’s Panther Pride Cry was sponsored by Fraternity and Sorority Life. Panthers of all kinds were invited to show their love for purple and gold. Mark Nook along with his wife showed their support for all participating students Monday night.

Pride Cry is a well known tradition at UNI. This year students, mostly from Fraternity and Sorority life, showcased talents with mixed music and routines. Participants had to include the fight song, and incorporate this year’s theme “Let the Good Times Roar” in their event. 

Fraternity and Sorority Life Coordinator, Taberie Van Boening, noted that Pride Cry “allows groups to creatively showcase and spread their enthusiasm and Panther spirit.” She then went on to say that, “Panther Pride Cry allows the community to come together in celebration of UNI Homecoming.”

Members from Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Alpha Delta Pi and Alpha Sigma Tau teamed with Pi Kappa Alpha competed to show who had the most Panther Pride.

SAE took the stage of Lang’s auditorium first, and their rendition of “Mr. Brightside” gained attention from the audience who clapped along to UNI’s fight song until finishing their skit.  Supporting members from the audience got a kick out of the ‘brothers’ spirit.

Members of ADPi took the stage shortly after with Group Love and “Mr. Brightside” as well. Their performance ended with the fight song – including a dig at Youngstown – and a cheer routine. Many other ADPi members and supporters sat in the front, matching the competitors’ energy from the audience. This week’s kickoff has many in the community buzzing.

The last of the participants were members of AST and PIKE. Some PIKE members threw a football around while all cheered and sang the fight song.  They closed the competition with a dance routine, another jab at the Penguins and their rendition of “Roar” by Katy Perry. Judges came back shortly after with the news that AST and PIKE would be performing at this year’s pep rally; they also received an award and bragging rights. It’s why events like these make the final celebration and events so much more inclusive.

“In future years, the goal would be to see a variety of student organizations compete in Panther Pride Cry to continue the tradition,” said Van Boening. Traditional events like Pride Cry make homecoming more student and alumni oriented, setting up the end of the week with more spirit in many panthers.

Connie Hansen, Student Organizations Coordinator, talked about the importance of involvement. “Our goal is to continue to expand to more student organizations and promote general student body attendance to help kick off homecoming week,” said Hansen.

Many different programs and clubs, including CAB, have many events planned for the week. Pride Cry is just one event, kicking off a spirited week for Panthers.