The history of the Alumni House

Navigate Left
Navigate Right

Karla DeBruin, Managing Editor

According to the Rod Library, the first superintendent to live in the house was James E. Robinson, who occupied the house from 1907 until retiring in 1931. Then E. E. Cole lived there from 1931 until 1953. He paid a rent of $50 a month. Mr. Cole moved into his own residence and the house was remodeled for the department of Home Economics. From 1953 to 1984 it was used as the Home Economics Laboratory. Students who enrolled in this class would live in the house for a part of the semester. Which is what is happening in the previous article.

In 1985, renovations were completed and the Office of Development and the UNI Foundation moved into the building, and was renamed the Development House. 

The 2 departments stayed in the building until 1994, when they moved to the commons. On Oct. 7, 1997, International Services and the Admissions Office moved in. 

In 2005, International Services moved out of the building. In Sept. the Office of Alumni Relations and the UNI Alumni Association moved into the building and is now known as the Alumni House.