A chaotic sense of humor

Some say that laughter is the best medicine. Kelly Boon, motivational speaker, would agree with them. She would even go as far as to wear a clown nose onstage to start off her presentation.

Creativity, Humor And Other Stuff is Boon’s way of showing people that if they are stressed or unsure of what step to take next in life, they should consider the power of laughter and creativity.

The presentation took place Wednesday night in Lang Hall Auditorium.

CHAOS consisted of interactive presentations to help individuals discover opportunities in a changing world and address one’s needs through humor and creativity.

Boon persuaded people to loosen up and chuckle at the start of the presentation by smacking around balloons, showing off different ways to shake hands, demonstrating the proper way to laugh, making the crowd imitate cavemen and compete in thumb wars and showing off funny images via a slideshow she had prepared.

During her presentation, Boon said happiness was a gift, and that being happy is a choice we make and that we must push ourselves to make mistakes, because that’s how we grow.

Boon has been speaking publicly and using the red nose for many years, but she didn’t make it a full-time career until 2009. She credits her father with passing the torch to her. A retired Iowa State University professor, he used humor in his classes until his retirement in 2001.

“It’s hereditary,” Boon said. “My father has a nose like this and my kids do, too.”

At the end of the night, Boon made the crowd promise that they will always laugh and play.