A QUASH-ing good time to fundraise

Students raised $10,372 Friday as they competed in puzzles, games and quizzes across the University of Northern Iowa campus during the third annual Quest to Unravel Alzheimer’s Scavenger Hunt .

Participants registered in groups of two to four and their themes ranged from “The Party Quashers,” a group of students dressed in bright colors and wigs, to “The Hot Quashed Buns,” who were dressed as bakers and wore fake bottoms over their pants.

“This whole thing is kind of my baby,” said Kacie Swanson, a UNI alumna. “We QUASH because we care.”

Another team, “Squashing Memory Loss,” wore all black with multicolored tutus. Ashley Quint, a junior family services major, said “the tutus were mainly to embarrass the boys on the team.”

Each team was given a sealed envelope and told not to open it until instructed to do so. The envelope contained clues, rules and boundaries for the playing field. The clues led to various spots on campus, and there were special “QUASH Spots” which contained mental and physical challenges. The students were released from the West Gym shortly after 6 p.m.

One of these spots was located in front of Curris Business Building and was called “Top Your Tart.” Teams would choose one person to reach into a bag of condiment packages and select a handful to spread on a Pop-Tart. No matter what condiments were pulled out, each person on the team had to take one bite, and the Pop-Tart had to be completely eaten before the team could move on.

“We’ve had a few people almost throw up,” said Nick Seeve, a sophomore accounting major who volunteered Friday night.

On top of Maucker Union, students found themselves putting together a tangram in one of two shapes using several different pieces. The roof had room for six teams to try, and it filled up fast.

“It’s much harder than it looks,” remarked Chris Hofeldt, a senior public relations major and one of the volunteers for the night.

One of the mental challenge spots was located just outside Biscotti’s, a snack shop in the Redeker Center. Students were given a sheet with fill-in-the-blank questions based on a video they saw earlier in the evening.

Students began trickling into the West Gym around 7:30 p.m., having completed as many challenges as they thought they could. By 8 p.m., everyone had returned, and prizes were given out to teams for various accomplishments.

“Hot Quashed Buns” won the best costume award and “The Quashers” won for raising the most money as a team at $715. Students were informed that even though the night was over, they still had 10 days to raise money as a team for the Alzheimer’s Association.

The winner for overall best score was the team “It’s Just a Little QUASH.” Each member received multiple gift cards and a medal for their accomplishment.