‘Bat Boy’ to sink its teeth in at Strayer-Wood

A “classic love story with a serious bite” debut this weekend in the University of Northern Iowa’s Strayer-Wood Theater. According to director Patrick Elkins-Zeglarski, “Bat Boy: The Musical” centers on a town that discovers a half-bat/half-boy in a nearby cave. The boy is quickly ostracized by the townsfolk and used as a scapegoat for all their problems.

“It’s contemporary with classic influences,” said Elkins-Zeglarski, noting that the wardrobe and architecture in the play take numerous cues from ‘50s and ‘70s style. “This show presents dark messages in a light way.”

While most of the details are still under tight wraps until opening night, Kenosha Carr, a senior theatre major, was able to shed some light on her character. She plays a member of the “grunge quartet,” a group of narrative figures in the production. According to the director, the grunge quartet in this version of the play has taken some significant influence from the recent Occupy movement.

“It’s been a super positive experience for me,” said Carr.

Ryan Decker, a senior theatre major, plays Ron, a young boy who is one of the first to discover the bat boy. Decker said this performance required “a bit more dangerous stuff” out of him than previous plays, but that he is excited to be trying new things.

Carr, Decker and Elkins-Zeglarski are all excited for the audience to see the sort of special effects that are being used in the play. Elkins described the play as effects-heavy, with a purposefully minimal set.

The performances dates are April 5-7 and April 12-15. UNI students can see the show for free, but tickets sell fast.