Karel Keldermans carries on campanile tradition

Karel Keldermans, a renowned North American carillonneur, visited the University of Northern Iowa last Thursday and Friday to perform music at the campanile. In the past 30 years, he has performed around the world and written a book along with his wife, Linda, entitled “Carillon: The Evolution of a Convert Instrument in North America.”

“It’s not so much about just playing the carillon,” Keldermans said. “I play a multitude of instruments and I love them all. My true passion is really for music and performance.”

Keldermans has great respect for the university — especially for the campanile, as his close friend Robert Byrnes played it from 1973 until his death in 2004. Byrnes was also a longtime director of the UNI Varsity Men’s Glee Club.

“My friend Bob Byrnes played this instrument and I was honored to play it for his memorial alongside the Glee Club,” Keldermans said.

As Keldermans played the carillon, a 47-bell, 12.5-ton instrument, students and professors gathered to enjoy the music.

“Bringing music to this campus has been one of my greatest privileges and I hope to continue this tradition,” said Keldermans.

Jared Parker, senior political science and history major, stopped to listen to Keldermans play the carillon.

“I’m really glad UNI and the School of Music can bring someone in to play the carillon,” said Parker. “It was really great to hear the bells ringing throughout campus. It’s a major staple of the university and I’m proud its traditions carry on.”