NISG to host events honoring veterans

NISG will host Veterans Night Out at the Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum (above) on Friday from 6-9:30 p.m.

Courtesy

NISG will host “Veterans Night Out” at the Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum (above) on Friday from 6-9:30 p.m.

TEHYA TOURNIER

Veterans  recognized through display and ‘Veterans Night Out’

As the nation celebrates and remembers those who have served this Veterans Day,  the Northern Iowa Student Government (NISG)  will be hosting events to honor those serving currently or in the past. 

One way in which NISG is paying tribute to veterans is a display in Maucker Union for students and faculty to take a look at in order to honor and support lost or active soldiers. Additionally, people can write a thank you note to a veteran for their service. 

However their big event, the first annual Veterans Night Out, will be one for the books.  

Veterans Night Out will take place at the Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum and Grout Museum of History and Science in Waterloo on Friday, Nov. 12 from 6-9:30 p.m. The event is free to attend, free food will be provided and formal attire is requested. 

NISG’s Director of Veterans Affairs Austin Wood is putting together this event instead of hosting their annual Military Ball to recognize and celebrate veterans from past and present wars.

“It’s a night to get together, share memories and stories and have that comradery to share when around their fellow military members,” Wood said. 

Wood felt  NISG needed to switch up their usual event and host  the event at the Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum for the perfect opportunity to socially interact and connect with  those in the community who have been a part of the military. 

“Now people can walk around the museum and look at the exhibits, displays and explore those stories,” Wood said.

Wood encourages UNI students, faculty and the Cedar Valley community to come and participate in a night honoring those who have sacrificed and served the country.  There will be special guest speakers who have been prisoners of war and will share their stories and experiences. 

“We have a lot of students and faculty who serve or are veterans but it extends to the community who supports UNI. We want everyone to see all the hard work that has been put into supporting our veterans,” Wood said.