Muslim student group ends year with a look at the art of Islamic architecture

Indian cuisine, Arabic coffee and pizza were served to a multicultural crowd in the Center for Multicultural Education on Tuesday to wrap up another semester with the Muslim Student Alliance.

The main focus of the dinner was an exhibit in the common area of the CME that featured pictures of various mosques, from the Al-Asqa in Jerusalem to the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi. The pictures are meant to track religious influence in architecture around the world, including America.

Although this was the last dinner hosted by the MSA, there are still more events planned for this semester. Ghiffary Osman, a senior computer science major and the vice president of MSA, informed the audience that the group will screen a movie called “A Long Way Gone” in the Maucker Union on April 23. The film focuses on the role Muslims played during World War II.

“A lot of people don’t know that there was a concentration camp in Africa, as well as in Europe,” said Osman. “A great number of Muslims were actually involved in helping the Jews get out of those concentration camps.”

Following the film, the Cedar Valley Interfaith Council will host a discussion session.

Grace Stephenson, a freshman French major, heard about the event from a friend and decided to attend.

“I appreciate that different cultures are able to have events like this at UNI,” said Stephenson. “It’s a really cool opportunity for students to learn more about people who are different from them.”