UNISTA puts on ‘Twelfth Night’

For their annual Bard in the Yard production, the University of Northern Iowa Student Theatre Association performed the classic comedy “Twelfth Night” by William Shakespeare. Nathan Jorgensen, senior communication and theater arts major, adapted the play into an hour-long production of laughs to finish off the spring 2014 season. It was designed, directed and performed by students.

Viola (Madeline Achen) finds herself washed ashore after the hauntingly beautiful opening of the production. The audience watches, entranced, as a goddess rocks a ship back and forth in perfect harmony with the throws of three struggling people, fighting for survival amidst the waves and crashing thunder.

Believing her brother, Sebastian, dead, she disguises herself as a young man named Cesario and enters into the service of Orsino (Mic Evans, sophomore theater major), a duke desperately in love with the beautiful Lady Olivia (Roni Ruzicka, freshman theater major). Because Olivia refuses to see him or hear his messages of love, Orsino sends Cesario in his stead -— beginning a chain of events that eventually leads to Viola’s reunion with Sebastian (Sam Wiegers, freshman theater major) and several love confessions.

Mistaken identity is at the heart of “Twelfth Night,” but Jorgensen successfully compiles the hilarity of several side characters into three: Maria (Molly Giegerich, senior theater and Spanish double major), Sir Andrew (Joseph Schoborg, senior theater major) and Fool (Katherine Smith, senior theater major). Of the three, Fool incites the cheapest laughs while Maria tortuously fools Sir Andrew into partaking in several silly stunts.

Of the condensed cast, Antonio (Sean Klippel, senior theater major) is the least purposeful and feels consistently out of place, appearing solely as a plot device for the entirety of the production. The play may have been stronger without the extra character, allowing for more time with the other more important (or funnier) characters.

However, Klippel surprises with his honest portrayal of the superfluous Antonio. The character is saved only because of Klippel’s fantastic delivery, allotting for some of the most believable (and touching) moments of the play.

Most of the actors, notably Ruzicka, did not project as well, causing the already difficult language to become even more jumbled and confused. A few of them, including Smith, could have also benefitted from talking more slowly, allowing the audience more time to internally translate.

Despite being a relatively minor character in regard to the overarching plot, Giegerich is the star of UNISTA’s production. Over the top, loud and insanely funny, Giegerich does not overact her part, leading the audience on a silly little adventure of elaborate shenanigans.

Rehearsed to be performed in an outdoor setting, UNISTA’s rendition of “Twelfth Night” has little set and lighting. Two platforms indicate the two separate households with a simple bench, which is stealthily moved around the set by the characters within the show, acting as the joined hub of excitement.

Choreographed by Jennifer Hampton, junior theater major, the opening shipwreck scene is the most intricate and memorable aspect of the entire show. The lighting, the sound and the atmosphere contribute to its complexity and exceptionality. As hilarious as UNISTA’s “Twelfth Night” may be, it is this opening that will be remembered long after the play is over.

The costume design lingers uncomfortably between medieval and modern times, with some characters remaining clearly in the past, some in the present and some somewhere else entirely. The most off-putting is Giegerich’s skirt suit, though the coordination between it and Schoborg’s costume is done well. Similarly, Achen’s swapped gender is unconvincing and confusing due to the tight feminine pants she wears.

Though not as polished as bigger productions at UNI, UNISTA’s “Twelfth Night” serves as a light, comedic conclusion to an excellent season, providing yet another clear example of the talent and dedication of UNI’s students to produce diverse and challenging material.