Addition to traditions challenge

The University of Northern Iowa has its fair share of traditions, but this year students will be challenged to accept some changes to their school spirit curriculum. The UNI Traditions Challenge is a ritual that aims to keep various traditions alive through the Alumni Association and Connecting Students to Alumni (CATS).

“The Traditions Challenge was created as a way to engage students with activities on campus that make the UNI experience unique. We like to think of it as a “to-do list” of things students should do before they graduate,” said Sarah Crim, vice president of the traditions challenge and member of CATS.

“Our program is different than a lot of other programs because we give students the freedom to interpret what each tradition means to them. Students can personalize their involvement with the program and complete the traditions that mean the most to them,” Crim added.

There is no specific way to complete any one tradition. Though it is not required for students to complete all the traditions to be considered a Tradition Keeper, it is highly encouraged in order to get the ‘full UNI experience’.

Students and alumni alike can benefit from the program as it helps continue the culture of involvement and community at UNI.

When alumni return to campus with their children or for Homecoming, they can remember the ways they were involved at UNI and the place the university’s traditions hold in their own experience. The program creates a tangible way to collect pieces of their time at UNI in one place.

“This past spring, we took the opportunity to start a new tradition from within the program,” said Crim.

The night before the Traditions Keeper Ceremony, the medallions and lapel pins that will be presented to students are taken to the top of the Campanile. 

The Campanile is the center point of one the most popular traditions at UNI: Campaniling. It also provides a visual sense of identity to students and a historical tie to past Panthers.

“We feel as if taking the medallions and pins to the Campanile provides just an extra ounce of tradition in the ceremony and the way we recognize students for their completion of the Traditions Challenge,” added Crim.

The Traditions Challenge can be completed throughout student’s college career with two distinctions to be rewarded – a lapel pin for completing 25 challenges and a medallion for completing 45 – both of which to be worn at commencement.

The 23rd Street Market has a Traditions Challenge booklet listing the traditions and in-depth backgrounds of traditions come and gone. It also contains a checklist to help students keep track of what they’ve yet to complete.