Tastes of salsa on UNI campus

The Recycling Reuse Technology Transfer Center (RRTTC) hosted their first Creekside Harmony Garden Salsa Festival behind the Center for Energy and Environmental Education (CEEE) Thursday.  

The festival featured a variety of salsas for people to swing by and try.  They had hot, medium and mild salsas.  One of their especially unique salsas was the fruit salsa.  The fruit salsa gave a sweeter twist on the traditionally spicy salsa.  

“We just want to share with people how simple it is to grow your own food,” said Jenny Bruss, director of outreach and programming for RRTTC.

The different types of salsas were grown in the garden that is located where the festival was held, behind the CEEE.  

RRTTC grew ten varieties of tomatoes, eight varieties of peppers and other foods such as watermelons. 

Ethnic-specific foods, such as bitter melon, were available for students looking to try foods that aren’t normally found in an American diet. 

The event was quite successful as Bruss explains the importance of the festival.  

“It’s a good opportunity to find the garden because we are kind of hidden behind the buildings and learn a little bit about what we do here and enjoy some of our fresh produce that we’ve been growing all year,” Bruss said.