Traditions Challenge

Traditions+Challenge

University of Northern Iowa’s campus was alive with pounding footsteps from students on a mission Wednesday evening. In the Amazing Race Traditions Challenge, teams of four to five students were challenged to complete activities that would ultimately count in their traditions booklet. 

“It gives students an opportunity to check off some of the traditions that are in their traditions book while having a fun activity,” said Connie Hansen, assistant director of student programming for the Alumni Association.

Some teams dressed to impress by wearing gold capes, American flag apparel and one team dressed as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 

Maddison Gavin, sophomore elementary education major, heard about the challenge from another organization she was involved in, Student Admissions Ambassadors.

“Well, why not? I’ve never done it before, might as well try it,” Gavin said.

For Megan Teresi, senior elementary education major, the Amazing Race Traditions Challenge was a good way to knock out her unfinished traditions. 

Teresi accomplished getting “to know UNI on a better level and being able to leave saying that I did things that UNI is known for doing,” through the challenge. 

Challenges were spread throughout and around campus hitting locations such  as Campbell Hall, Latham Hall, the granite panther, the Alumni House, Sidecar Coffee, Russell Hall, Rod Library and the tennis courts. 

When all the challenges were completed, the Warrior Panthers (comprised of Parimal Aryal, Noel Nathan, Tenzing Bajracharya and Parash Upreti) took first place at the one hour mark. Second place went to  SAA with an hour and 18 minutes and third place went to KULT with an hour and 19 minutes. 

“Finally! I told my team the entire time that we were going to win this and we did. We came in second last year,” Aryal said on his team’s victory.

But the challenge isn’t all about winning. 

“The challenge benefits students because it connects them to campus,” said Joslyn Aldape, senior marketing and Spanish double major. “It’s something that everyone does and it’s something they can identify with and it’s in replacement of our yearbooks.”