Disease of the week: Influenza (Flu)

Influenza, more commonly known as the flu, is caused by the influenza virus. This disease causes an acute respiratory infection (not to be confused with the “stomach flu” which is generally caused by the norovirus) that typically last about one week with symptoms lasting up to two. 

The disease can be fatal to young children and the elderly, and certain strains (which I will touch on in a minute) can be lethal to normally healthy adults. 

The Virion (infectious particle) is a spherical enveloped structure. The Capsid (part that houses the genetic material) is composed of M1 proteins whereas the envelope is composed of a lipid bilayer similar to any cell yet is littered with different types of proteins such as Haemagglutinin (this is where the H comes from), Neuraminidase (this is where the N comes from), and M2 proteins. 

The H protein is responsible for the binding of the virus to its host cell, the N protein is responsible for allowing the virus the escape the host cell, and the M2 proteins are proton pumps used by the virus to maintain proper pH throughout the infection.  

The genetic makeup of the virus is what makes it so dangerous. It is comprised of eight negative sense RNA molecules. It is these molecules that can be mixed up in an event known as reassortment that created new strains such as swine flu. 

In the news, we hear about new strains and types of flu, such as the H7N9 outbreak in Asia, without really knowing what it means. 

There are three types of Influenza: Type A (most dangerous), Type B, and Type C. The Type C is somewhat different in structure than the other two, having a protein that functions as both the H and N proteins. 

Almost every adult is infected with the virus at some point in their life and is usually a mild respiratory infection. Type B can cause the same disease as Type A. However, it is usually not as severe and rarely causes pandemics due to its limited host range. 

Type A is the most dangerous of the three and responsible for most pandemics. The Type A flu tends to cause pandemics is because of its reassorment ability due to the viruses broad host range. 

It can infect birds, pigs, horses, and humans in areas where they are in close proximity to one another. 

To prevent contracting this disease, get your vaccinations, wash your hands, (especially if you are touching people all day) and do not touch your face. This gives the virus easy access to your body. 

The final thing is to pay attention to the CDC and WHO when outbreaks occur. They tend to be the most up to date on outbreaks.