Life-Aid Ask Kyle

Dear Loved and Broke;

Have you talked to your parents about their concerns? A parent is supposed to love, cherish, protect and provide for their children. They may have some very valid concerns for you. Talk to them. 

If you talk to them rationally and explain why this is so important to you, they are more likely to respect you for listening to their concerns and giving them respect.

That being said, there are financial aid benefits available for married students since they aren’t considered dependents of their parents. This means that your parents won’t be expected to contribute to your school tuition.  According to the FAFSA website, award eligibility for married students will be determined by the total combined income and assets of the student and their spouse. However, many of these awards come in the form of loans so there may be more to pay off down the road.

A word of caution though: life as a married student is another set of problems. You have to really focus on your marriage in addition to classes, extra-curricular activities and friends. It will become immediately awkward to live with anyone else so you will most likely have to shoulder the burden of living expenses on your own and dorms really aren’t an option outside of family housing.

Ultimately, the choice is up to you. Remember, you only stand to gain respect from your parents if you talk to them in a calm and rational manner and listen to their concerns. There are some financial benefits for both you and your parents since you will receive more financial aid as married students but being a married student can be a difficult task. Luckily, you will have each other and if his love and support is all you need, more power to you.