Films bringing issues to light

Lucy Walker showed four of her documentaries over two days in the third installment of The William and Stephanie Clohesy Documentary Film Series. The series shows the audience the importance of documentaries and the effect it has on our society.

Walker is a British film director who has won numerous awards. The documentaries were shown on Monday and Tuesday night in Lang Hall Auditorium.

David O’Shields is the documentary filmmaker-in-residence at University of Northern Iowa and director of the William and Stephanie Clohesy Documentary Film Series. 

“She (Lucy) is one of the most distinguished documentary film makers nominated for two Emmy’s. Not only is she a very talented artist, she’s very down to earth. She spent a lot of time with the students while she was here, critiquing and giving advice,” he said.

On Monday night she showed “The Lion’s Mouth Opens” and “The Crash Reel.” The first focuses on a women’s journey of finding out whether or not she has Huntington’s disease. The latter looks into the life of Kevin Pearce, snowboarder, who suffered a brain injury.

Kyle Kaiser, senior electronic media major, attended Monday night’s showings.

“‘The Lion’s Mouth Opens’ made me aware of the tragic fate that awaits people with Huntington’s disease. Before seeing the film I had only heard of Huntington’s disease from middle school FCS class, which didn’t really illuminate how horrible the disease really is. Although it was hard to watch at times, I think ‘The Lion’s Mouth Opens’’ honesty about Huntington’s leaves a lasting memory and will help spread the awareness about the disease,” he said.

Tuesday night’s two documentaries were “The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom” and “Waste Land.” The first one showed Japan after a tsunami had hit. The documentary that ended the series focused on Vik Muniz, an artist who goes to Brazil to photograph “catadores.”

After the film, Walker participated in a Q&A and even did one-on-one’s with students.

“Lucy was amazing. She was really approachable and eager to share her experiences with us,” Kaiser said. “I enjoyed my one-on-one meeting with Lucy the most. I never imagined that I would have an opportunity to sit down and talk to an Academy nominated director.” 

O’Shields claimed that it was the biggest turnout they have had yet in the film series.

“Documentary is an amazing art form. It’s a way of learning about an idea, exploring a subject and in a very visual and creative way – sharing and speaking with an audience about what you’ve discovered. You’re conveying information, but it’s more of an art form,” O’Shields said.