Sparks brings tears

“The Best of Me” by Nicholas Sparks is a heart gripping and blood pumping page-turner that was hard to put down. I read this in one week and re-read it before I saw the movie. 

Nicholas Sparks once again put tears in my eyes in the last few chapters, when the conclusion comes to a close and it leaves you shocked to the core. 

The novel focuses on star-crossed lovers, Dawson Cole and Amanda Collier, who are forced to reunite after twenty years. They come together to uproot old scars and heal the friendship they once had. 

Dawson wanted a “normal” life and a chance to be with Amanda, but outside forces made that impossible. 

True love is an impossible bond that rested in the hands of these two high school sweethearts and resulted in death, broken friendship and knowing that life goes on even if things take a turn for the worst. 

“The Best of Me” is about two people in love that brought the past up again and made demons come arise. 

There will be tears shed, hearts pumped and love that will be given for a lifetime. 

When I was introduced to this novel, I was somewhat hesitant because of the nature of the characters and trying to guess what the conclusion might be. 

I was surprised by the personality of Amanda as a stubborn, outspoken, independent fighter. She didn’t give up on Dawson when he told her to forget him, but as years passed, she did. 

I learned that people change over the years, good or bad, and it leads for people to settle with what they are given. 

To me, Amanda is a fighter and Dawson is the only person for her to fight for. 

I felt this novel could have been more detailed in some parts and having more dialogue.

Nicholas Sparks is a fantastic writer and his creative side is becoming much more accessible for us young readers.  If you are the sappy romance type, this is for you because Nicholas Sparks gives you what you want and more. 

UNI inspires more readers on campus, enjoy what Rod Library has to offer its students and open up a whole new world.