“One Tree Hill” actor serenades campus

Campus Activities Board hosted Tyler Hilton in the Maucker Union ballroom for a free concert Thursday night. 

Hilton is most known for his role as Chris Keller on “One Tree Hill” and his acoustic music. Many students took advantage of the free show. 

As students entered the ballroom, they saw a stage set up with guitars and colored lights that moved across the back of the ballroom. 

Chris Walton, sophomore study of religion major, opened for Hilton, playing acoustic cover songs of well-known hits including “The A-Team” by Ed Sheeran and Nick Jonas’s current hit “Jealous.” 

The crowd cheered during his performance. Once he was finished with his set, the crowd waited for Hilton to take the stage.

Hilton promoted new songs from his next album, “Indian Summer,” along with some previous work and acoustic covers of hit songs including Rihanna’s “Stay.” 

Throughout the show, he played songs from “One Tree Hill” including “Missing You” and “When The Stars Go Blue,” which filled the room with many cheers from fans of the former hit TV show.  

A couple of fans asked Hilton to play the “Toaster Pastry” song from “One Tree Hill.” Hilton claimed he didn’t remember how it went since they made it up on set one day, but it is a common request he has gotten at the last few shows he played. 

“It was amazing. I loved every second of it. Tyler was so funny and personable and I really enjoyed myself,” Jules Bertagnolli, freshman biochemistry major. 

Bertagnolli said she is a huge “One Tree Hill” fan and attended the concert for a chance to see Hilton in person. 

Hilton continuously made jokes especially about the Iowa cold, lack of phone reception and his life, giving fans the opportunity to interact with him throughout the show. 

Once the show finished, Hilton hung around for a while to meet and talk to fans. Students had the opportunity to take pictures with Hilton on a Polaroid camera to be autographed for fans to purchase for a unique memento of the night.

Hilton’s new album, “Indian Summer” is set to release on Tuesday, Nov. 18 in stores and online.