Holiday spirit on Main

Jingle and Mingle took main streets motto- “Where Good Friends Meet” to a new level. Every shop, bakery, eatery and brewery on Main Street participated in a Cedar Falls-wide celebration for the Christmas season.

The event was hosted by Cedar Falls Downtown, a non-profit organization.

With lights lit up, fresh evergreens and shops open, Jingle and Mingle took place last Thursday evening. From 5 to 8 p.m. there was a hustle and bustle to get the best deals at all 160 merchant shops, meet Santa Claus, ride in the free trolley, listen to carolers and even watch the live nativity scene. 

“It was fun to see and enjoy and everyone’s sprits were high,” said Brenna Lantz, senior textiles major and employee of LBL, one of the stores downtown. “And I encourage everyone to come down to Main Street and support the local shops.”

Jingle and Mingle started 12 years ago as a way to draw customers to local shops and celebrate the Christmas Season as a community. The event is designed for Cedar Falls as a whole to celebrate what we have. 

“The Molly Trolley was my favorite. I loved meeting Santa and seeing baby Jesus,” said 5-year-old Elise Washburn. She was with her mother, father and younger brother. 

There were a variety of special deals, door prizes, discounts and gifts for everyone to enjoy. After it was over, participants were encouraged to stay and appreciate what the downtown atmosphere, dining opportunities and the local bars had to offer.

The Jingle and Mingle was only one of many activities that Cedar Falls’ Main Street has to offer during the Holiday Hoopla. Holiday Hoopla is a month-long event hosted by a cast of volunteers and businesses around Cedar Falls. The purpose of the event is to give everyone a memorable holiday season. 

Holiday Hoopla has a range of activities yet to come  including: Breakfast at the North Pole, a Cheer Contest, Santa’s Snow Shuffle 5K Fun Run/Walk, Baby It’s Cold Outside and Movie Magic.