Breaking out the dance shoes

The 3rd annual Dance Marathon Black Tie Affair was held at Threehouse: A Wesley Foundation Thursday evening. Admission was five dollars for one person or seven dollars for a couple. Many students brushed up on their dancing skills and attended the event.

“There’s a photo booth, and it’s a professional photobooth. We have a bunch of free food. It’s sponsored by Red so we have a bunch of that,” said Sarah Hanson, senior leisure, youth & human services major and director of public relations for Dance Marathon. “There’s poker that’s sponsored by a fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon. We also have a dance down in the basement that’s kind of like a rave.”

If people didn’t feel like dancing, there were plenty of others things to keep them entertained.

“This is kind of like a preview to our dance marathon big event. We’re super excited for it. We also want to give people the chance to get out of their dorms or get out of their apartments and do something in a safe environment with no alcohol or anything like that. People can just come get dressed up. It’s a really good time,” Hanson said. 

That’s the reason Dance Marathon committee member Emily Bittner, sophomore organizational management major, came. 

“I just wanted to come out and have fun,” Bittner said. 

Jackie Henry, freshman social work and family services double major said she was impressed with the turn out of the event.

“I definitely think more people should come next year,” Henry said,  “but we might have to have a bigger venue just because there are so many people.”

The event wasn’t just for fun, however. Hanson said they were also raising money for the University of Iowa children’s hospital.

The money raised during the Black Tie Affair event will go toward the final amount during Dance Marathon’s Big Event on March 7.

“It’s really great to see all the campus and the community coming out for this black tie affair. It really shows the support that everyone has for such a great organization,” Hanson said.