DM hosts dance benefit

Dance Marathon hosted a Dance Benefit at Gallagher-Bluedorn to raise money for the Iowa City Children’s hospitals Saturday. The event was open to the community and free to students. Local Cedar Valley dance teams came together along with the International Dance Theater and Orchesis to perform for the community at this event, showing a wide variety of talent for all ages. 

“We have never done anything like this for UNI Dance Marathon before. So we are very excited to reach a new demographic of people to share what UNI Dance Marathon is all about,” said Andrea Thoene, senior communication major. 

The night provided a range of dancing and performances to spread the word about the fundraiser to the community. Dance Marathon supports families who have kids that are affected by life-threatening illnesses to help cover costs of their expenses for treatments. 

Brazilian 2wins wrapped up the night of dancing. The Brazilian natives are not strangers to the Cedar Valley. Their many performances cover classical and pop songs, and bring two cultures together to create a more diverse scene and a new spin on things. 

The event was to prepare the community for Dance Marathon’s Big Event, which will take place March 7. Registration for the 4th annual Dance Marathon is still open. The event includes two meals and activities throughout the 12 hours in Maucker Union.