Uniformed quintet at GBPAC

The sound of woodwind instrumental music filled the air of Davis Hall in the Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center Tuesday. The Air Force Woodwind Quintet, “Midwest Winds” performed from 8-9p.m. with refreshments provided afterwards. Amanda McCandless, associate professor, served as a host to the group and coordinator for their appearance here at UNI.

The calm, low-key hall was half filled with a welcoming crowd. The ensemble is one of two woodwind quintets and a component unit of the United States Air Force Band-a 65 piece wind ensemble located on Scott Air Force Base in the St. Louis, Missouri area. 

The performing quintet consisted of: Senior Airman Rachel Maclary on flute, Staff Sergeant Jennifer Kost on oboe, Airman First Class Craig Buying on clarinet, Master Sergeant Peter M. Hensel on horn and Master Sergeant Robert Jordan on bassoon.

Midwest Winds played several pieces by composers Ludwig van Beethoven, August Klughardt and Francis Poulenc. Midwest Winds were arranged in a semi-circle formation, enabling each ensemble member to see one another, keep time and balance the sound. 

Before playing each piece, a member of the quintet gave a brief history of the composer and pieces to give the crowd some background of what to expect. 

Hensel said the ensemble had only been playing together for about a week. The performers are very flexible, and must be, because performance schedules often change depending on factors such as individual schedule changes or even the weather.  

“Our clarinet player picked Iowa to tour this week,” Hensel said when asked why the quintet chose to perform at UNI.

The ensemble has already traveled to Iowa State University and UNI and will be making their way to Webster City and Des Moines to finish off the week.  The quintet is tailored to deliver a world class, professional product to small group settings and concert halls such as Davis Hall on campus. The ensemble reaches out to America’s young music students, offering concerts, clinics and masterclasses in wind chamber range and instrumental technique. Davis Hall gave students and adults an opportunity to see a professional music group up close and talk to members about their experiences as a band member and the US Air Force. 

Kaylin Dicicco, junior global marketing major, attended the Midwest Winds performance. Dicicco was instantly intrigued by the event when she saw it listed on the UNI music calendar. She is a military daughter and her dad is currently at Scott Air Force Base.

“I’ve always enjoyed the orchestra point of view. It gives you time to reflect on the music performed and the way the military makes it their own, which gives it a different perspective,” Dicicco said.