Tournament on the day of love

Most people think hearts and cupids when they think of Valentine’s Day. But a select few think of rooks and pawns. 

The Fool’s Mate Chess Tournament unfolded in Rod Library, hosted by the UNI Chess Club. Certain tables were reserved and set up for matches in the non-elimination tournament. 

Anthony Spoerl, senior computer science major, said he and the current club president had “been talking about ways to get more people coming to the chess club and just be actually active on campus and this seemed like the most obvious way to do that.”

Spoerl said the club chose Valentine’s day since it would be memorable and the event could potentially become an annual event for their club.

Juan Marin, junior exercise science major, came for the challenge. 

“It’s kind of like a challenge. You challenge yourself to think beyond your limits. It’s a workout for the brain; you feel more energetic,” Marin said. 

Marin wasn’t the only one who had spotted the flyers in and around Maucker Union. 

Muchi Dzikamunhenga, senior computer science major, saw the flyers and was encouraged by one of his professors to attend. 

“Well, despite the fact that I always win. I don’t know it’s like thinking skills or something,” Dzikamunhenga said.

With his eyes on the grand prize- an ice chess set and $20 gift card to Limited Edition Comics- Dzikamunhenga would consider participating again. 

“If there’s a prize I will definitely do this again,” Dzikamunhenga said.

The proceeds raised by the event will be going towards the Waterloo Boys and Girls Club. 

The UNI Chess Club goes to the Waterloo Boys and Girls Club to teach chess once a week. Currently, the Boys and Girls Club in Waterloo has no chess sets.

“. . .we’re hoping to go buy a few chess sets with the proceeds and give them to them,” Spoerl said.

Spoerl hoped that the participants would think the event was interesting and pursue the game more and possibly other tournaments.