Appreciation luncheon

The Campus Minister Association gathered in the St. Stephen the Witness social hall for a luncheon to appreciate the faculty and staff of the CMA working with UNI students Tuesday. 

The CMA is composed of 12-15 organizations ranging from center-based ministries with facilities near campus, to church-based ministries that have a specific person in charge of campus ministry, to parachurch groups that aren’t based in a particular congregation but are still Christian campus ministries. 

“The Campus Ministry Association is a chance for those of us who are campus ministers to meet and support each other professionally while we’re trying to do what we can do to help the well being of the campus ministries,” said David Glenn-Burns, campus minister and director of Three House: a Wesley Foundation.

Aside from their monthly meetings, Tuesday’s luncheon was an opportunity to “show and strive for unity among groups within that are Christian that typically would have some differences but we’re able to come together regardless of whatever minor differences those would be and to really see the same mission and goal,” said Dirk Wiese, campus minister director for The Good Life.

It was an opportunity for campus ministers and staff to work together.      

With the various views on the practice of ministry, both on and off campus, not everyone agrees on everything said Glenn-Burns. However, he said it was fun to work on something positive with the students and departments on UNI’s campus.

It was also a chance to make connections.

“I think it’s good to know each other as friends and then not just like always people with jobs that you just eat together and have friendships,” said Cadi Trask, sophomore global health promotion major.

Trask, a member on Basic’s leadership team, thought it would be beneficial to approach people on campus in order to possibly work together in the future.

As a player that is new to the campus ministry game, Wiese saw it as an opportunity to learn. 

“It allows for communication and so everyone is on the same page,” said Jody Schares, sophomore elementary education major.

Wiese said he hoped that his group’s sincerity showed at the event.

“I hope that it just give the impression of authenticity on our end. That we aren’t here to put on a show but to intentionally build relationships with faculty,” Wiese said.

“I hope that the people know who we are, that we’re a resource to them, that we’re interested in being supportive of them rather than working against the community or the education of the students,” Glenn-Burns said.