From the desk of Mark Nook

University+President+Mark+Nook+sends+new+Panthers+assurances+of+support%2C+community+and+great+opportunities+to+be+found+at+UNI.+

University President Mark Nook sends new Panthers assurances of support, community and great opportunities to be found at UNI.

Mark Nook, Guest Columnist

Welcome to the University of Northern Iowa and congratulations on your acceptance to UNI.  We are excited that you will be joining the Panther family this year.

UNI is committed to helping each student reach their educational, professional and personal life goals. Faculty and staff know that to be successful in your life after UNI, it is important that you learn to set high goals for yourself and then develop a plan for reaching those goals. 

We will set high expectations for your education and surround you with people to help you reach those expectations so that you will be able to reach your professional and personal life goals.  

As you work to meet these expectations and reach these goals, you will be supported by faculty, staff and your fellow UNI students.

This process of setting and reaching your educational, professional and personal life goals begins at new student orientation.  You will meet students, faculty and staff members who will help you begin to understand what it takes to be successful at the University of Northern Iowa.  

You will also meet some of the people who will support you in educational, professional and personal development.

New student orientation is all about helping you learn to be successful at UNI.  

You will learn about our academic programs, how to register for classes, where to find academic and social services on campus, about opportunities to get involved in your residence halls and numerous student organizations, as well as about the coolest places to just hang out (my favorite is the purple and gold adirondack chairs near the Campanile).

As a student success-focused university, UNI faculty and staff members put the long-term success of our students first.  

Faculty bring their experiences and expertise to the classroom and supplement their courses with knowledge gained through intensive research and discovery, as well as service and engagement.  

You will have opportunities to engage directly with faculty in their research, scholarship, creative work and professional activities.  

Staff bring their experiences and expertise to the residence halls, Academic Learning Center, academic advising, the Center for Multicultural Education Wellness and Recreation and many more student support services.  

These experiences with faculty and staff members help you develop the professional skills and abilities to be professionally successful immediately after graduation, and it all starts with new student orientation.

Be prepared to meet new people and make new friends at orientation; it is your chance to show everyone that you are Panther Proud!  

We look forward to meeting you this summer!

Panther Proud,

— Mark A. Nook,

UNI President